“It is those of His servants who have knowledge who stand in true awe of God” [35:28]
يَرْفَعِ اللَّهُ الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا مِنكُمْ وَالَّذِينَ أُوتُوا الْعِلْمَ دَرَجَاتٍ
“ Allah will raise those who have believed among you and those who were given knowledge, by degrees” [58:11]
The Prophet Muhammad (ﷺ) also reaffirmed this idea in his teachings:
- "من يرد الله به خيرًا يفقه في الدين"
- "When Allah wishes good for someone, He bestows upon him the understanding of Deen." [Bukhari]
- "إذا مات ابن آدم انقطع عمله إلا من ثلاث: صدقة جارية ،أو علم ينتفع به، أو ولد صالح يدعو له"
- "When a man dies, his deeds come to an end except for three things: sadaqah jariyah (ceaseless charity); a knowledge which is beneficial, or a virtuous descendant who prays for him (for the deceased)." [Muslim]
- "الدنيا ملعونة ملعون ما فيها إلا ذكر الله تعالى، وما والاه، وعالمًا أو متعلمًا"
- "The world, with all that it contains, is accursed except for the remembrance of Allah that which pleases Allah; and the religious scholars and seekers of knowledge." [Tirmidhi]
- "من خرج في طلب العلم، فهو في سبيل الله حتى يرجع"
- "He who goes forth in search of knowledge is considered as struggling in the Cause of Allah until he returns." [Tirmidhi]
The above are only a sample of the number of times seeking knowledge and learning the religion of Allah (swt) are mentioned. It is our key to becoming better Muslims. The Prophet Muhammad (ﷺ) asked Allah (swt) to increase the knowledge of Ibn Abbass (RA), a sahabi known for his extensive understanding of the Quran, with the following dua (supplication):
“Oh Allah increase him in the religion, and teach him understanding” [Tabarani]
Allahoma faqihho fi aldeen wa ‘alemho alta’weel
The journey to knowledge is not an easy one. We often have a hard time accessing proper Islamic knowledge and should repeat the above dua (in Arabic, English, or our own language) sincerely. Our journey to Allah (swt) needs to start with Him so that, God willing, it also ends with Him in the hereafter.
At Jannah Institute our goal is to “bring the light of knowledge to the hearts and homes of women.” We believe that we need to make it as accessible as possible and focus on women because we recognize that at this time it is harder for women. Jannah Institute hosts multiple in-person programs including a full-time hifdh program for girls and different levels of tajweed classes for women. We also offer many retreats and lecture series taught by Dr. Haifaa Younis throughout the year. Dr. Haifaa did a full retreat on this very topic: Living Knowledge and you can find the CDs & Booklets in our store.
We are currently utilizing a new avenue to make Islam more available - the internet. We will be maintaining an active blog and Facebook page. Please keep us in your duas and help us share the beauty of our religion.
If there any topics that you would like to see covered on our blog, please do not hesitate to contact us: jannahinstitutemedia(at)gmail.com or leave us a comment.